Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Sad Day

So today was the funeral for my Grandpa George. He passed away Saturday morning unexpectedly. He seemed to be doing pretty good as of late so it was such a shock when my Dad called me Saturday morning with the news. I felt so bad because the last time I saw him was Easter Sunday and I didn't really get to talk with him because of all the family there and then Grandma took him home early because he was tired and I didn't even get to say goodbye. The one thing that makes me feel better is that a couple weeks ago Justin, Rylee and I went to their house to return something and we got to have a little visit with them. How grateful I am for that
day. It wasn't the longest of visits but I got to give him a hug and tell him I loved him.

It was a very nice service held at Wood Funeral home and he looked so good. I told Rylee that he would just look like he was sleeping. I thought that she would be too afraid to go see him but she was so intrigued. She kept asking "Is he really dead?" and then she kept going up to see him and would touch his arm or just look at him. I don't know what she was expecting to see but when it really did look like he was sleeping I think she thought he might just wake up and join us. Before the service we got to say our last goodbyes which is always the hardest part. It wasn't until that moment and the men were closing the casket that it really sunk in for her. She started crying and saw that everyone else was crying and then she just couldn't stop. During the service she just couldn't stop sobbing and she just held up the program with his picture and couldn't stop looking at it. She told me "my heart feels bad" and my heart just broke for her. Then she gets up and goes to give Grandpa Peggy a hug and tells her sorry. It was such a sweet moment. I know Rylee was very sad but I think it was a good thing for us to take her so she can understand. She knows that Gramps in heaven.

It is always so good to see all of your family that you hardly ever get to see but such unfortunate circumstances that brought us all together.
Rest in Peace Gramps! We love you!

1 comment:

Heather R said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa!He is in a much better place and at peace.